Tendonitis is inflammation of a tendon and usually occurs due to overuse. Tendons are bands of strong connective tissue that attach muscle to bone. The most common symptom of tendonitis is pain that is dull and aching, sharp and burning or radiating.
Recovery from tendonitis is often lengthy.
Your osteopath will work with you to determine the cause of your tendonitis and decide on a course of treatment.
Common areas of tendonitis include:
The symptoms of tendonitis can include:
- stiffness and restricted mobility at the affected joint
- muscle weakness
- warmth in the joint area.
Osteopaths may help your tendonitis by:
- Identifying the cause such as poor sporting technique and postural imbalances.
- Reducing muscular tension and increasing blood flow to the affected tendon via soft tissue massage and stretching.
- Creating a management plan to improve healing time, reduce pain and ultimately a return to normal activity.
Your osteopath may also refer you to a GP for any additional medications or treatment